Sunday, January 31, 2010

The food was good

There are times when blog posts come gift wrapped.  Little experiences while they maybe poignant or funny, are clearly stories.  They have a beginning, a middle and an end.  They aren't a cobbling of various events or thoughts, they are in themselves one complete tale.

Friday night we attended the First Grade Shabbat dinner.  In an attempt to create relationships, the temple organizes these dinners.  Three or four families gather together and have dinner together, say the prayers and celebrate Shabbat.  Sounds innocuous enough.

When we fled left the event, I looked over at Bob and said, "sometimes blog posts come gift wrapped."  But, now that I am home, and looking at the computer screen I don't know where to start.  I don't want to tell the story and god-forbid have someone who knows these folks read it and tell them about it.  If the shoes were on the other feet, I would be horrified if I knew that this story was on the internet.

You see the hostess told a funny story about a trip to the hospital with one of the kids.  She left to start to coffee and check the kids, and her husband proceeded to tell us more than we needed to know about their marital relations.  It wasn't completely a digression, it was more stream of consciousness.. yet, now, burned into my mind, is that story.  When the hostess returned to the room, my eyes were the size of saucers and in an attempt to stop the insanity, she heard me saying, "that is too much information, I need to cleanse my brain now."  Seriously, brain bleach was in order.

At temple today, I SAW them... I kept thinking about what he said, picturing it.  It is like a train wreck, you don't want to look but you can't stop yourself.  She has no idea what he said.  No idea that I know this detail of her life.  No idea that when I see them, I can't stop snickering.  Face it, if I didn't snicker about it, I might poke my eyes out with knitting needles so as to erase the memory.  I am sure it will fade, as all scars from traumatic events do, but it won't be fast enough.

So, when asked about how our dinner was, I respond, the food was good.

1 comment:

  1. i like your brain bleach comment. :)
    seriously, i'm sorry that was awkward for you. it would make for a good episode of "curb your enthusiasm." (something similar actually happened on an episode this past season.) actually, a couple of things that could relate to what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete