Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Spend nothing

I follow a couple of other blogs. One of my fellow bloggers/knitters was talking about taking a challenge to not spend any money for 3 months. I was thinking about giving that a try. I might not tackle 3 months, maybe just one.

The rules:

1. You can not buy anything other than the necessities. So food, gas, toiletries are ok, but clothing, toys, books, games, yarn, etc. are not.

2. If you want to purchase something, you write it down and then at the end of the month if you still really want it, you can buy it.

I am willing to commit to the rest of August and September. I also am going to take a "day off" for a trip to stitches, where I will buy myself a birthday present. Other than that, we will see how it goes. I am not a big spender anyway, but I might surprise myself.

I am already thinking, underwear. I desperately need new underwear. I solved the bra problem by finding some I bought a while ago that didn't fit very well, that seem to be working fine now. I must be fatter. But the undies, all have holes, and not just the ones for the legs, all are stretched out... Basically, I die, my mother will be horrified, my underwear is not fit for coroner consumption. NOW, is new underwear a necessity or a luxury?

I do not really want to spend money on them, but I desperately need them. Maybe in October when this experiment is over. But, it I do not want to buy them, do they fall into the necessity category? I am not being a typical consumer when replacing my threadbare underwear am I?

As I think about this I might have to go to Kohls and see how much they cost. Perhaps I can find a coupon?

No comments:

Post a Comment