Saturday, August 29, 2009

On the needles

I have been knitting like crazy, but haven't finished anything in a while.  I think it is because I have too much on my needles.  I really need to finish some stuff and start to focus on one project at a time.  Perhaps I can keep my sock blanket, a pair of socks and ONE other project going at a time.  Rather than 6 or 7.

I really want to make a cabled afghan (the one right there in the tiny picture).  Something about snuggling under a thick wooly blanket seems very appealing to me right now (it could have something to do with the fact that it is 65 degrees and rainy... feels like fall).  I keep looking at yarn, drooling over patterns and planning my blanket.  But, it seems very irresponsible to start this project, when I am already working on a massive blanket.  I really need to finish the one I am currently doing before I start another one.  It has nothing to do with my feelings about the current project.  I love it, and would love to work on it exclusively, BUT, all these other projects need to be finished.

I am forcing myself to NOT purchase the yarn until I am ready to knit the blanket.  This blanket will take about $150 worth of wool, so I am not really interested in investing until I am ready to start.  That said, I have picked the yarn a million times!

My list of UFOs and DLK (DeadLine Knitting) is large.  I need to make a baby doll for Hannah's birthday. I have 3 babies coming shortly that need presents.  The December holiday's loom as well.  I am making a pair of socks for my SIL, coasters for the other adults, perhaps a couple of knitted toys for some of the kids... it will all depend on my time.

I also, so very stupidly, signed up to teach kids to knit at temple.  This will suck my Sunday's right away from me.  I will get to knit for a while, and I wonder if I can incorporate them into the larger knitting group or not.  I will have to see.  I felt like I should do something for the religious school program because they are not charging us this year, due to our financial situation.

My new found freedom, one would think, would free up a lot of time for knitting.  I just feel like I should be doing something more productive like laundry.  A brief word on laundry... it multiplies more rapidly than rabbits. If only my money compounded as fast as laundry, I would be rolling in green backs.  Seriously, you leave one pair of dirty underwear on the floor and suddenly you can't walk in the room anymore because of all the dirty clothes.  How does this work?

So, I hope to get over the need to clean the house and take more time to knit.  Until then, knitting is like a sock monkey on my back.  I have so much of it to do and so little time.  So, I must stop blogging and start knitting.  I wonder if I could figure out how to do both at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment