Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Soups ON

Last fall, I made a boat load of money when I bought chicken broth. The cartons came with dollar bills taped to them. It was great. That said, I have cases of chicken broth. We are going to eat it all. So, in the spirit of using what we have, we are having soup every week. Since I really only know how to make 3 kinds of soup, this will also be a bit of a cooking experiment too...

I started this 3 weeks ago. The first week we had tortilla soup. This is a fan favorite and I am make it quite a lot during the winter. It has butternut squash in it, so it is also super healthy! The kids love it.

The next week I made garden vegetable soup. We had tons of veggies that were about to turn on me, so rather than waste, I made soup. It also was quite yummy. Feeling very Suzy Homemaker, I also made bread. I cooked it too long, because well, I really didn't have enough time to make it and left it cooking in the oven with the auto-timer going. We had soup for lunch the rest of the week.

This week, I branched out, and made Corn Chowder. I used to make this frequently, before Bob and I were married. Once we got married, it seemed to fall off the rotation. I looked for the recipe, but could not find it. It probably got recycled in the massive throw-stuff-away before we moved. So, going off memory and a couple of other recipes as a guide, I came up with a version that was very close to what I remember it tasting like!

Corn Chowder

Saute 1 sliced jalapeno and 1 diced onion, in oil, until soft.
Then add 1 box of chicken broth, 1 can cream of corn, 1 can corn and puree until smooth. Then add another can of corn. If you want it all smooth, then you can puree the other can too, but I like a little texture
Season with lime juice (a splash), black pepper and red pepper, to taste.
Let it simmer until thickened.
Prior to serving add a diced zucchini (if you want, we just had some from a friends garden!), some chopped cilantro, and about 1 C milk.

We put our soup over some diced chicken, and had crusty bread.

Bob really liked it, the corn is sweet and the jalepano adds just enough spice to give it some zip. We will definitely we doing this again!

********************************

Another update on my no spending plan. So far so good! I bought ice cream and cereal at the store today, and I am up 10 bucks. So, I did the inverse of spending. It is a good thing. OH, and we have ice cream and cereal to last for while.

********************************

Sock Yarn Blanket up-date

I have done 70 square of the over 700 that I need to do. I am about 10% complete now!! It is starting to get some heft to it and you can see what it is going to look like when it is done. I am thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment