Monday, August 10, 2009

Dad

My Dad was a great guy. He was not a very out-going person by nature, but once you got to know him, he was pretty loyal. He was always one for the pithy saying. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about him. I am not sure. He died in November, his birthday was in May... so it is not like an anniversary or anything.

So, bullet points about my Dad!

  • He wore a silver tux to my wedding. He thought he was the coolest thing on two feet. My sister specifically told my Dad there would be no tuxes at the wedding so he would not wear it.
  • My Dad had a lot of rules about skiing, don't take your gloves off on the lift, if you drop one you will be cold. Don't marry someone who skis better than you, that is called irreconcilable ski differences and is grounds for divorce. Point your skis towards the lodge and you will end up at the bottom of the mountain. If you roll down, your skis are not pointed the right direction.
  • He left his wallet at home when we were going on a ski trip with the Church youth group. We all had to turn around and go back and get it. It made us about an hour behind schedule. To this day people talk to me about that. "So typical of your Dad to forget his wallet."
  • He always liked to remind me that problems are like waves in the ocean, there is always one coming and once it is gone there will be another one. Some are bigger and some are smaller, and some crush you into the sand.
  • My Dad liked to help people realize their dreams. I learned to always try and do what makes you happy and you will probably be ok. (Just remember to keep you skis pointed in the right direction so you don't roll down the mountain.)
  • My Dad died in his sleep, after he went for a walk with a friend, bought Christmas presents for everyone and a toy for Mac. He played tennis with his friends, came home and went to bed and never woke up. 200 people showed up for his funeral, in spite of the fact that the funeral home ran the wrong date.

I miss my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment