Monday, August 3, 2009

I thought you were broke?

Let's start off by saying I am not broke any more than normal. I think all my parts are working as well as they ever do. Sorry, it is just that phrase gets me. I realize broke is not referring to my physical well being but rather my financial state. I am not sure how not having any money means I am broke... but anyway.

I took the kids to the movies yesterday to see G-Force. We ran into a friend who looked at me sideways, and said, "I thought that your husband was unemployed?" I looked at her and said "Yes, yes he is, do you know of any openings?" She looked at me and said that she thought we were coming from the movies. I said, "Yes, we saw G-Force, it was great. The kids really liked it." Mac started getting antsy so we moved on.

I got to thinking, was she implying that if we shouldn't be spending our money that way. What she didn't know, is that the move was FREE. Yup, FREE. We saw it in 3D, for Free. Hey, that rhymes. At the beginning of the summer I got a bunch of free movie passes for purchasing waffles, which we eat every day. The waffles were on sale, I had coupons, so I paid very little for the waffles AND got the movie tickets. I think I got 10 boxes of waffles and 2 movie tickets for like $7. That seems like a pretty good deal to me, I would have paid that for just the waffles.

In the spirit of full disclosure I will list all the money we spent yesterday:

Barnes and Noble -- got 4 books for boys -- Cost $0 (due to summer reading program)
Movie -- 3 people, movie in 3D -- Cost $0
Meijer -- 4 boxes of waffles, 2 bottles glue, 2 pizzas, 1 Tinkerbell backpack -- $14

I think for $14 bucks, we had a pretty good haul. I had 3 bags of groceries, some books for the kids, school supplies, and a movie?? I know, I could have done better... oh well.

I am pretty frugal. So next time you see me "spending a lot of money," ask yourself, "Do you think she got it for free?" The answer is probably pretty darn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment