Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Blogs of Note

I recently noticed that there is a section on blogger called blogs of note. Hmmm. Someone, somewhere picks out these blogs of note. How do they decide that one is more notable than another. Quite honestly some of these blogs have been well, a little less than interesting.

That isn't to say that my blog is interesting. I sort of wonder why folks even read it, but I know from the stat counter that some of you keep on keepin' on. There are people who hit my blog regularly. I think sleeping pills don't work for you?

But, this whole Blog of Note thing got me thinking. How do they sift through the gazillion blogs that are out there and decide which ones are note worthy. The ones I like are mundane details about life, with a funny twist. I suppose I should work on that funny twist thing. It has been a bit of a rant lately.

So, I looked into how one gets one's blog publicized. The most interesting fact, is that adding links in the text of the blog will poke the crawlers. The more words you use, specifically over 200 of them, will elevate you in the google listing on the crawlers. This got me thinking. My posts have been longer, and guess what, the crawler has been hitting my blog. Sometimes if I use the right combination of words, my blog will actually pop up! Amazing. I can actually google my blog.

Now, I know how to get the crawlers to hit the blog. The next thing that makes a blog notable is the number of hits it gets. I get a pretty fair amount of hits. Then the tricky part, have the content be something that is interesting enough that people come back.

I was talking to a friend about it. She asked me if I really want to be a blog of note. You know, I don't. (ok, secretly it might be kinda cool) This is my house, and I want to talk about what I want to talk about. Some people will like it, some won't. I don't really write it so that anyone will read it. I write as a way for me to think about the things that are happening in my life. I usually only start doing these blog posts with any regularity when I am in crisis/chaos. So, I guess this is my way of processing the drama. That said, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment