Monday, November 2, 2009

Santa is a Bigot

Santa is a bigot.  I know, lovely way to start a Monday, but it is true.  Today, we will discover the dark underbelly of Santa Claus.  Brace yourself, it will be a bumpy ride.

When you say Santa is a bigot, it garners a reaction.  Santa?  The fat guy, jolly, spreads cheer to little boys and girls around the world?  Let me see, someone else said:  " Santa is not a religious symbol.
He is a mythical legend and a jolly old fat guy who represents good all around the world."

Yeah, only see here is the problem, he doesn't spread good to poor kids, Jewish kids, Muslim kids.  Really he picks kids of a certain level of wealth and who are Christian, and spreads joy to them.  I don't know about you, but the reality of the situation is that doing something for one group at the elimination of another is bigotry. 

So, unless you are willing to accept that Santa is a figure in Christianity, then you have to accept that he is a bigot.  You can't have it both ways.  So, we should allow our kids to hang with a bigot?  If the KKK showed up at a school function, would you be good with that?  Because if Santa is showing up at non-religious events it is the same thing.  Sure, Santa has better marketing, is slightly less of a bigot, because he doesn't discriminate against African Americans.  But, face it, it is a small improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Santa as a kid.  Christmas was my absolute favorite holiday.  But as I have gotten older and now have a Jewish family, I see things a little differently.  I don't know if I want to let my kids drink that brand of Kool-Aid.  The kind that says if you are of a certain level of wealth and Christian, some dude in a red suit is going to swing by and give you gifts.

Dang it, Linus was a visionary, forget about Santa, let's all celebrate the Great Pumpkin, who brings joy to ALL the little boys and girls in world.

No comments:

Post a Comment