Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Last Names

I didn't change my last name when I got married.  There are a number of reasons why I didn't do it.  One of them was that I didn't want to have to go to the DMV.  It was going to be a hassle, and I just didn't want to deal with it.

I have friends who have gotten divorced.  Some have kept their married names and others have gone back to their maiden names.  So, you get to do the whole DMV thing twice if you choose to change back.  Then what happens if you get married again?  Do you start the whole thing over?

Bob and I have been married for a long time.  The fact that my last name is different has usually been a non-event.  Sure it has created some funny situations with Bob being called by my last name.  But other than that, nothing ever.  The kids all have Bob's last name.  This has never created an issue for me.  I have flown with them, I have gone to the Dr. with them, I have registered them for school, etc.  Never has anyone ever once given me a hard time about the fact that our last names are different.

There are many reasons why the mother of a child could have a different last name.  The list is long and the reasons are as varied as there are situations.  The fact that my kids do not share a last name with me does not make them any less MY kids.  The one thing we know is that they are mine.  They are Bob's but you can not prove that as easily as you can that they are mine. I was there when they were ripped from my body.

Lifetime Fitness Centers seem to think that if your last name is different than your kids, you are up to something and you have to PROVE that they are your kids.  The only way to do this is to show them a birth certificate.  I would think my word and my money would be good enough.  Apparently not.  Since I can not find Hannah's birth certificate, I hope they can come up with a solution.  Because if they can't my money and my daughter will be going to the gym elsewhere.  Somehow, I think that if her father shows up and says, this is my daughter, this is my wife, see the marriage certificate, they should be able to work it out.  But no one is available to make this decision, so tomorrow I can't go, because I can't take Hannah, in spite of the fact that I have a 2 foot long scar on my gut, a huge butt from being pregnant with her and she looks like me, she isn't in their eyes, my kid.

Something else to keep in mind, they try and sell you services every time you are on the equipment.  There you are on the treadmill and the trainers come up to you and harass you.  To the point where you have to be rude.  It is like telemarketing.  It is so horrible, that just that alone makes me want to leave the club.  Perhaps this is a sign that this place isn't for us!

For the record, at this late date, I am not changing my last name.  They can bite my big butt that Hannah made.

No comments:

Post a Comment