Tuesday, November 10, 2009

One Last Post

Can we tolerate one more post about Santa?  If not, perhaps you should just skip today's installment.  I will wait a second for you decide.  (imagine soft music playing while you weigh your choices.)










Ok, if you are here, I am going to assume you have signed on for the ride.  There are no chicken exits, so here we go, you sure?  Last chance.  Suddenly I feel so alone.




The essential spirit of Santa, the giving aspect of him is very appealing to me.  I know the shock of it all, but I actually really like spirit of the claus.  To give unconditionally, without expecting anything in return.

My family engages in and receives many random acts of kindness, which is in my mind the spirit of Santa.  I have shared with you many of the different random acts of kindness we have received.  From yarn in the mail to flowers on our door to dinners piping hot that show up at dinner time.  My neighbors, friends and family are an amazing source of support.  To each and everyone of you, I say thank you.

We try and teach our children to do the right thing, even if it isn't the easy thing.  It was in my mind the right thing to try and create a club where ALL people are comfortable, while the easy thing would have been to stay quiet.  Sometimes things don't work out the way I want them too, such as when I gave the homeless man money and he used it to buy alcohol.  But that gift was between me and G-d, and how he chooses to spend it is between him and G-d.

Mac and I have spent a lot of time talking about this issue.  He has read and we have discussed everything I have had to say on the topic.  Mac as usual is very thoughtful on the this issue. I was very proud of him when he told me that he stood up for a kid that one of his friends was trying to pick on.  Mac shares his good fortune with his siblings.  Of my three children, Mac has the most generous spirit.  The irony of that is that of my three children he is the one most offended by Santa.  Out of the mouths of babes, he said to me, "Mom, I get the idea that Santa is a generous spirit, but it seems to me that he really just represents getting stuff not giving."

He went on a little bit more, and said, "if they really want Santa, why can't the club do a party at a hospital or homeless shelter and instead of giving more stuff the the kids that already have plenty, give to kids who have nothing?"  My reaction was a mixture of pride that my kid gets it, and annoyance, I mean where was he with this idea last week?  What a great idea.  Too bad that ship sailed.  But, I told him I would do one last post on Santa and share his idea.  So, this one is for you Mac!

His final idea is that next March, a month chosen as it was the first one that came into my head, do something to embrace the spirit of giving.  Give without the expectation of getting.  To do the right thing, even if it isn't the easy thing.  Rather than waiting until March, try it tomorrow.

Ok, seriously, I warned you, you had a chance to leave.  That said I promise to try and not preach anymore... I will try and retire my soapbox and stick to the funny things the kids do.  Just remember, I really like my soap box, it is green.

No comments:

Post a Comment