Thursday, November 5, 2009

The time has come, the time is now

The time has come, the time is now, Marvin K. Mooney, please go now.  I love the Marvin K. Mooney book by Dr. Seuss.  It cracks me up every time I read it.

The last two years of my life have been about change.  I have changed my address, my friends, my life.  The last thing that needs to change is my acceptance of the fact that I am no longer the mother of small kids.  All my kids are in school, and I need to adjust my life to that.  Sure, Hannah is just in PreSchool, but she is no longer a toddler or a baby.

What this means is that, as much as I fight it, it is increasingly more difficult to attend playgroups, because Hannah just isn't into it anymore.  She wants to do big girl things.  I am not in the same place as these other moms at the playgroups.  They don't get it when I am dealing with the issues of a 9 year old.  Hmm, someday I should do a list, Issues of a 9 year old... is there enough space in blogger to do that...

The issues of a 9 year old leave you longing for the issues of toddlerhood, except for poop in the underwear.  I won't take that back EVER.  The next time poop is being cleaned out of underwear it had best be mine.  So, as my kids grow and change, I think it is time I grow and change with them.

So, the time has come, the time is here, it is time for me to take the step into what I am going to do next.  It is time to act and not plan and dream.  It is time.  The whole issue with Santa, crystalized this for me, I am not really at that stage anymore.  I have older kids, a different perspective on things.  I am not in that early stage of wonder and belief that they can be or do anything, I see my limitations and my kids limitations differently.

This is not to say parents of small kids are wrong, silly or anything, I was there once too.  I am just not there, and it is different.  So, I shall be exiting this chapter on a zike-bike, and while the fireworks were not really part of the initial plan, they are there, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment