Saturday, November 7, 2009

Summer of 1988

The scene, it is 1988 and I am in the parking lot at the Amenesty International Concert with my college friend.  I am a junior, majoring in philosophy and religious studies.  We are picking up her old boy friend, who is coming to hang with us.  I am supposed to take him to a party the next night because she is going to be busy.  I was like what ever, he is a looser, I will ditch him at the party.

In the headlights of the car, I see this guy walking towards us.  I can not describe it, but it was an instant attraction.  It put a giggle in my chest.  I think my eyes popped out of my head.  He gets in the car and I had to work really hard to be cool.  She drops me at my dorm, and I go in and start to plan what I am going to wear that next night.  He was so sexy it was mind boggling.

So, I picked out my best going to a party outfit.  My friend drops him by my dorm and we go grab something to eat.  Well, that was the plan anyway, we ended up totally connecting and we were on the same page.  It was totally amazing.  We ended up spending the entire time he was there together.  We had a blast at the party.  Although I don't really remember who else was there.

When he left, I was bummed, but I knew it was a short term thing.  My friend tells me that he called her and he wants my number is it ok to give it to him?  Is it ok?  Uhh, yeah.  Anyway, she does just that.  That is the beginning of a tumultuous long distance relationship.  He moved to LA to be with me and in the end it didn't work out.  Too much passion and not enough in common.

Anyway, the song by Kidd Rock about Summer in 1984, reminds me of this guy.  Driving home from knitting, I was blasting the tune, drivin' a little to fast in the mini-van, but not so fast as to attract the attention of the police, I may be slow, but I learned my lesson.  Yeah, in the mini-van that I swore I would never own.  But like Kidd Rock says, he will always hold a special place in my heart and that song reminds me of our trip to Bass Lake.    Good times, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment