Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What should you do?

The question was posed in a blog I follow, what should I do?  The Internal Make Over, here is the link, but remember it won't bring you back... so if you want to get the back story, just come back here for the advice.

Her question, in a nutshell, is should she give up on the part-time freelance work she does (and loves) in favor of a more secure full time gig with benes.

It seems to be the age old question, should I do what I love or should I do what pays the bills.  Having been on the side of the fence where the husband was working to pay the bills, I can tell you, it sucks.  If you can find something that you love to do and you can afford to live on what they are paying you, then that is the way to go.  That miserable, I hate my job, hell we lived in for 9 months was not worth the money.  The fact that Bob is happy doing what he is doing right now is worth the massive pay cut he took to be there.

That said, I think the question goes a little bit deeper, because the author is a single parent who probably needs some sort of steady income.  There is a lot of stress associated with relying on freelance work to pay the bills.  I am not unsympathetic to her situation.  I would not want to have to be in a place where my income is insecure.

So, should you do what you love and worry about paying the bills or should you do something you can tolerate and have security.  I would like to assert that there is another choice, do what you love and find a way to make it more secure.

There is a really annoying saying, Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.  I know, made me puke a little in my mouth too... but it is sort of true.  Life is short kids, and I think if you can figure out how to be happy most of the time, then that is probably the path to be on.

Good luck stranger out there in cyberspace, I hope you can figure out how to do what you love and get the security that you need.

3 comments:

  1. i work a regular job and write for fun on the side. nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds. if she were to go back to a 9 to 5 job, does she have opportunities available to pursue?
    i have a friend who freelances and said it barely pays the bills, but she feels she's not cut out for a 9 to 5 job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am honored that you've taken the time to address my dilemma here at your place. You've captured beautifully the struggle I'm feeling...and how so much of it comes down to whether I can guarantee that I'll always be able to hustle up enough magic to pay the bills. Then my imagination kicks in and I realize that any freelance gig can technically lead to more....and off I go.

    "Do what you love and find a way to make it more secure"...this says it perfectly...and would give me the best of both worlds in every way. I'm going to do my best to make that my reality.

    And hey, that "annoying" saying? Not really so much...I didn't gag once. It may be a pipe-dream...but it's something to strive for.

    Thanks so much for the kind, though-provoking post.

    PS: Why don't you have a follower button, so I can follow? Hmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do what I love, though I would love it more if it was full time. I'm lucky that I don't have to seek out a different job or another one that I'd be less happy in.

    It all depends on the situation someone is in. Not everyone can realistically choose to do what they love with what's available. Or they have other priorities that factor in. Is not being able to afford luxuries going to be made up for by having a job you love? Or would you be happier having more money and not having a job you break into song just thinking about?

    Totally not happiness/job related: if you want links to open in a new window then before you close with the >, type a space and then TARGET="_blank" and you'll be set.

    ReplyDelete