Sunday, July 11, 2010

Church?

Will I melt?  Will I be struck down?  I am a little nervous about going to church today.  I have not been in a church since a Christmas Eve service when Sam was a baby.  So, it has been a REALLY long time.  I remember one of my kids was cranky and needed Tylenol and going to the Walgreens after the service, it was the only place open on Christmas Eve.  Funny, there were people buying last minute gifts.

It is not that I don't attend religious services pretty frequently, but I do not attend them in the Christian faith.  I am a lapsed Christian, I suppose.  There are only so many hours in the day and I feel that by going to Shul, I am fulfilling my duty to religion. I suppose it has more to do with the fact that I believe that my relationship with G-d does not have to take place with in the confines of a tradition or a building.

So, today, I will say the Lords Prayer, sing a couple of songs and watch my good friend's baby be baptized.  I am very happy to do that, rather than attend the service for a different baby that happened yesterday.  We will most likely laugh at how the little meatloaf cries when the priest drips water on her head and discuss her plans for the future.  It will be a happy event.

My little time-share baby is going to be saved in the traditions of her religion.  I think she might need it to survive over here....

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad that you have a happy event to attend. i've gone to some church weddings. i'm there for the couple, not for anything religious. there was one time when i thought the things for kneeling were footrests. that was amusing. and my husband and i like saying "homily" (or is it hominy?) really fast over and over.

    ReplyDelete