Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Retreating

We have arrived.  I let Bob and the kids unload the van.  I needed to cool off for a minute and make wise cracks about the lameness of my husband.  Once I have started to settle in, and we are starting to find our way around, things start to look up.

I take the boys to their cabin.  They have paid camp counselors on staff to watch the kids.  This is a pretty nice thing!  I get everyone settled in, and it is time to head over for dinner.  So, we do that.  I think to myself, self, it is going to be really dark once the sun totally sets.  This was some foresight on my part.  So, I leave Bob and the kids to get seats and I run back to our cabin to get a flashlight.

Bob decides to position us at the kids table.  Not with the other families or adults, but with the kids.  Since our objective was to meet other families, sitting at the kids table was not going to really help with this.  Still frustrated.

We finish dinner, clear our plates, etc.  I need to use the bathroom, but I can not find it.  I look where people tell me to, but I can not find it.  I am close to tears again.  The learning curve is very steep at this place, and no one seems to realize we are new and need a little extra information.  I see a friend of mine, and she asks me how things are going.  I tell we aren't having such a strong day.  She says, she is on her way to the bathroom, to join her and we can chat.  Hallelujah!!  The potty!!

At 8:30 pm, we head over for an hour of religious services.  Hannah is shot, the boys are pooped.  Everyone behaved during the service, but it was a very long day.  I was very happy to deposit in the care of someone else!!

After that we did an ice breaker activity, where we did madlibs from the bible stories.  It was fun, except the group I was in wanted to do a dirty one too.  Might I remind everyone about the people who traumatized me at the Shabbat dinner (link in case you don't remember  The food was good).  Yeah, it was the husband who wanted to do the dirty madlib.  I was starting to wonder if I would make it out alive.

Thus ends our first day.  Based only on this day, I would never do this again.  But, there are still 2 more days...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite an interesting start. It's nice that there was childcare available though.

    ReplyDelete