Monday, September 28, 2009

Gmar Chatimah Tova

Pop quiz.  I know, those words render me to a quivering mass of hysteria too... but still, I am going to do it anyway, so pop quiz:

What does Gmar Chatimah Tova mean?

That is it, simple, easy peasey, all I want is a definition.  Oh, you want some multiple choice action.  NOPE.  I will not use it in a sentence, it is a sentence.  I just want to know if you know what it means.  All this questioning, is the entire reason, I am not a teacher.  

I will give you a couple of minutes to think about it, and most likely to google it, and then to come back with the text book definition.  Heck, I guess I could save you the trouble and get the definition from google myself.
Gmar Chatimah Tova translation;  Literally: A good final sealing   Idiomatically: May you be inscribed (in the Book of Life) for Good
 Who knew.  Certainly not me, which is why I was all excited about the pop quiz.  I have never heard that one, not in my 15 years of celebrating this holiday of Yom Kippur.  I like the whole idea of being inscribed for good.  Last year, I think we may have slipped out of the Book of Good.  It wasn't such a good year.  This year, I am optimistic.  Bob won his fantasy baseball league, more on that tomorrow, and I would say that generally, thing seem more sunny here than last year.

So, I hope you are inscribed for good today.

No comments:

Post a Comment