Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dinner Impossible

I stole dinner.  There I said it.  No, it is not because things are so bad here in at house that I have resorted to shop lifting.  No, I am not dumpster diving.  But I did steal dinner.

You see, our backyard neighbors planted a tomato plant in the back of their yard.  Right next to our fence.  Right next to the rabbit hole.  You can not see the tomato plant from their house.  It is totally hidden from view by a big tree.  We can see the tomato plant from our house.

I have watched this tomato plant grow.  I have watched the tomatoes blossom and go from flowers to green globes to red ripe tomatoes, bursting with flavor.  I then watch them fall to the ground to be eaten by the rabbits.  I decided, if our neighbor was not going to pick the tomatoes I would.  But, that is stealing.  They aren't my tomatoes to eat.  But, our neighbor isn't going to eat them either.  So here we are, in the gray moral ground of stealing tomatoes.  Bob does point out that they did say that we could take what ever we wanted when we were discussing the tomatoes last year, he thinks we are still operating on that invitation.

I could not stand it any longer.  I watched these delicious tomatoes fall to the ground.  I decided, this was a travesty.  I had basil in my house, I had a loaf of freshly baked basil/beer bread.  All I needed was some tomatoes to make bruschetta, and we would be good to go.  When no one was looking I marched outside and stole some tomatoes.  I bought some fresh mozzarella to go with my ill gotten gains and Bob and I had a delicious dinner.

What I did was wrong, but I don't feel bad about it.  I ate a yummy dinner and my tummy is full.  I think I will put some jammies on and snuggle up, knit and relax.  If they want their tomatoes, they better pick them before the fall to the ground or to my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment