Friday, May 21, 2010

Insanity

Albert Einstein is credited with saying the following:  Insanity -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

It seems that when ever things stop working for me something happens to remind me of that quote.  Just as I was at the breaking point with the kids, I thought, seriously what can I do differently?  I decided to do something completely unpredictable, and put them back in bed right after they woke up.  By returning them to bed, I managed to snap them out of the morning fighting/whine fest that they were having.  It separated Mac from everyone else and calmed him down too.

At the gym this morning the instructor said, that we were going to do things differently, because if we don't change the impact of the exercise will be minimized.  I laugh, because her class is so hard that I feel like I need to throw up most of time, change it?  Increase the impact?  Ok, what ever. 

But, her point about trying to do things differently resonated with me.  When ever I have a problem, or issue, I try and think about what I can do to impart a change to that situation.  Sometimes the tried and true just doesn't work and it is time to shake things up and try something completely different.  My go-to response is not always the solution.

A woman I know told a story about making cookies.  She mistook powdered sugar for flour.  She couldn't figure out why they were not working, and made three batches before giving up.  She kept doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

So, what isn't working in your life?  Are you doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result?  Maybe it is time to try something different.  Shake things up and do the opposite of what you are doing now.  Might not work, but you never know unless you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment