Monday, November 22, 2010

Post Script

I guess it was a mistake to say that the whole Christmas Carol thing was over, when we were still talking to them.  I expected them to trot out the plastic reindeer law and tell me to pound salt.  They didn't.  They told us to call their lawyer and he would explain it to us.

We called the lawyer, who is jewish, and he said, the song was fine.  That we certainly could sing it, and that it was probably a good idea to promote tolerance and inclusiveness.  So, all that remains to be done is to tell the school that they get to add a song to the play list for all the kids, not just Hannah!

I am excited that even though we thought we had lost, we ended up winning.  It makes me feel like perhaps things are more equatable than they might have orignially seen. 

I can understand how this is a very confusing issue.  You don't want to violate anyone's first amendment rights, but you also don't want to be intolerant.  I can completely understand how a well meaning person could end up looking like a bigot.  They are just trying to do the right thing, and sadly that right thing is sort of hard to see.

While we certainly didn't make any friends in this process, perhaps we made things a little easier for the next kid who is forced to sing about a holiday they don't celebrate.  Face it folks, we are a giant melting pot and there are lots and lots of different people.  Rather than be afraid of those differences, I believe that we should embrace them.  The more we know about each other, the less scary the differences will be.  If we can change our culture to truely be one of tolerance, I believe our standing in the world will improve.

There will be the reaction of the teachers to report.  So I won't say that we are done here.  Rather I will say, till next time!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for sticking with this and not giving up! Way to be a crusader!

    ReplyDelete