Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Christmas bells are ringing

D:  Hello, this is the Director from Hannah's preschool.

Me:  Hi (a bit nervously)

D:  Do you have a minute, there is something I would like to discuss.

Me:  Yeah... (why are you calling, what happened??  Everyone was all smiles at pick up yesterday.)

D:  We are having a Christmas program at the end of December, and I know that you were upset about the stocking project that we had last year.

Me:  Christmas program??

D:  Yes, the kids will be singing Jingle Bells, White Christmas, Here Comes Santa and a few other songs.

Me:  How about tossing in Driedel, Driedel, Driedel?

D:  No, I don't think we will be able to do that, it is too religious.  (And White Christmas isn't?  Here comes Santa Claus isn't? What the heck.)

Me:  Ok, well, since you are going to teach my daughter Christmas Carols at school, can we not do any other Christmas projects??

D:  Well, I don't think that will be possible.

Me:  Ok, then can I come in and do something about Hannukah?

D:  I don't think that will be possible.

So why the hell did you call me?  To rub it in my face that you are going to basically do an entirely Christmas program, ignore all other faiths and religions and do this with my tax payer dollars?  I don't know what to do about this... but the director already hates me, so I think it is in my best interest to NOT rock the boat, but I think I might just talk to the teacher for a minute and see if I can reason with her.  Once Hannah is outta there, this blog post is being sent to the Board of Directors at the Carol Stream Park District.  Unless of course they read it here first.

In the spirit of all fairness, things were not presented this bluntly, but this was the condensed version of what was said.  I was a little mystified by the whole experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment