Monday, February 21, 2011

Thursday

Last week was a real hum-dinger of a week.  For the past year, things have mostly been quiet in our world, so I am not accustom to the universe dancing the funky chicken on my spleen.  It was the kind of week where you drink a Mike's without actually tasting it.  You drink that second Mike's just to wash down the first one.  It was the kind of week, where Monday dressed up as Thursday and surprised us with all sorts of unpleasantness.

The week was just hard and unpleasant until Thursday, aka Monday in costume, showed up.  The day opened with many temper-tantrums and the kids all in their rooms by 7:30 am.  I love it when I am not even dressed and everyone is already in their rooms.  Friend of mine said that it days like that when you need to have a glass of wine with breakfast.  I said, I need wine on my wheaties, skip the milk.

I thought that was the worst of it.  I tried to resurect the day from the jaws of defeat.  I believe that just because you have a bad morning you can choose not to let it ruin your day.  I am such a pie-eyed optimist sometimes.  Fool.

Mac is in a bad mood on the way home.  Which was odd to me, because I had gone out of my way to try and perk him up.  Well, come to find out, once I checked my email, he had been in a bit of trouble at school.  My kid, the Don of an illegal homework pass operation.  You have to admire the creativity, but the stealing was an issue for me.  But, what ever we will get through that right?

Anxiety attack ensues, because he left his homework at school.  I am tired and don't want to deal with the argument, so I take him back to school to get his work.  I drop him at the entrance and wait.  Practice my deep breathing excercises and meditate.  I meditate some more.  Goodness this kid is slow.  I meditate some more.  Finally, in a burst of tears and fury, he comes flying out the door.  I suck in all the oxygen in the general area and prepare myself for what is about to attack me. 

"Mom, Mrs. Olson would not let me get my homework.  She yelled at me, and wouldn't let me leave the room.  She called for back-up so that she could get my homework.  She told me my punishment for forgetting it is that I don't have it done."

"Are you freakin' kidding me?  I will go and discuss this with her."

Now, I am in NO mood to be triffled with.  Seriously, I am looking for an outlet for my wrath.  Too bad I left the pointy sticks at home.  We walk into the building, and the Principal, Social Worker and another teacher are striding towards me.  Think something out of a western and you are running into the posse.

The Principal took Mac up to get his homework.  Apparently, you are allowed to go up and get homework, the teacher was wrong.  According to Mac, the Principal was not happy with this teacher.  I am with the Principal on this one, there is no reason for a teacher to physically restrain a child and call for back up. 

Then there was the soccer meeting... but more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment