Thursday, September 2, 2010

House Anniversary

This is the anniversary of the day we closed on our house.  It is a day I will never forget, because getting out of that apartment and into our house was such a great thing.  We ordered pizza and ate it on the floor in the new house.  Our stuff was still a couple of days away.

The first year with our house was not so good.  I replaced a lot of things and the house was fairly sound by the time I was done.  This year, the house held it together for the most part.  We did have a smallish flood in the basement, so that had to be repaired.  We are finally replacing the leaky faucet.  Tomorrow actually.  It is a happy anniversary gift for the house and a birthday present for me.

I don't love this house the way I loved our other one.  But, I think that has more to do with how much I still want to change about it and less to do with the house itself.  There are good bones here.  It still isn't "me" yet, but we are beginning to appreciate each other.

There are some very large ticket items in this house that need to be fixed.  Given the current financial climate, they are likely to remain unfixed for as long as possible.  Eventually, we will be right side up on the house and right side up on our finances and we can start to make the house pretty. 

But for now, we have accepted each other.  Water damage and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment