Thursday, August 30, 2012

When I get older...

Today's topic is what scares you the most about getting older.

I have watched a lot of my mother's friends age.  For some of them it hasn't been pretty.  A close family friend smoked for probably 15 years before she quit.  Now, she has COPD.  It is going to shorten her life.  Even though she hasn't smoked in probably 50 years.

It is the choices that I made when I was younger that I worry about.  What did I do when I was fearless that will come back to bite me?  My choices about food have already done that.  If I want to walk when my kids graduate and get married, I need to change the way I eat.  That sounds dramatic.  Especially when you see me running down the road.  But, if I allow myself to continue to be obese and allow my weight to continue to creep up, I will most likely have a hard time moving around when my kids are starting their families.

My mother was older when she had me.  I believe that my younger brother and I kept her young.  I have always assumed that my kids would do the same for me.  But, if I want to be like my mom, taking off on trips to where ever into my 80's, then I need to make sure I make good choices about my body today.  When my kids have kids, I will likely be in my 60's and 70's.  I don't want to be so physically unable that I can not be a part of that.

If running, doing push-ups and keeping myself strong and healthy will allow me to see my grandkids, walk down the aisle with my daughter when she gets married and climb up to the top of the stadium when they graduate from college, then I guess that is what I am going to do.

Want to see what the other Ladies have to say about it? Check them out at:Froggie, Momarock, and Merrylandgirl.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely "food" for thought. Wow. I worry that I'll get osteoporosis because I hate milk and yogurt and only eat cheese melted on something. I guess I could remedy that with ice cream??? :) Seriously though, thanks for this topic. It was interesting to think about because I normally don't.

    ReplyDelete