Friday, August 10, 2012

Passions?

This week's topic is about passions.  What are you passionate about?

I am interested in a lot of things, knitting, working out, running, but really at the end of the day, I will drop everything and do what ever needs to be done for my kids.  I guess I am passionate about them.

It seems sort of wrong to me that is my passion.  Shouldn't my passion be something that is about me?  But, as much as I try and protect my me time... knit group and the gym are pretty high priorities in my life, something for the kids will trump that.

I just drove 40 miles round trip so that all the kids on my son's soccer team would have their player cards and be able to play in the tournament tomorrow.  I am going to miss working out and a pretty cool yarn thing because of the tournament tomorrow. 

When asked, do you want to do XYZ run, my answer is, I have to check the soccer schedule.   Some of that is just the shear logistics of transporting three kids to three different games in three different cities.  But, still, shouldn't my passions come first?

They never do.  I try and force the kids to go to the gym with me in the summer, but haven't run in over a week.  I miss my time on the trail.  I can't wait for them to get back in school and go for a nice 5 mile jog.  Just the thought of going and going and going seems like heaven to me.  I might not feel that way after mile 3, but what ever.  I can't do it now because I can't leave the kids at home and I sure ain't bringing them.

Knit group is another thing I try hard not to miss, but if the siren call of the kids schedules is rung, guess what gets back burnered?  Yup, my therapy with the group!

I am not sure if the fact that my kids derail my interests is an issue or just a fact of life or indicative of the fact that they are my passion.  I am sure it will all sort its self out, but for now, it is easier to think I am passionate about providing the best for them that I can.  Some day, it will be all about me again.

Want to see what the other ladies have to say? Check them out at: Froggie, Momarock, and Merrylandgirl.

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet. :) They're lucky to have you as their mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family should always come first, IMHO.. and it sounds as though you have things pretty well prioritized!

    ReplyDelete