Saturday, August 18, 2012

Olympics

Topic for this week:  Olympics wrap up...

I feel like it could be summed up with a few words, cheating, bad sportsmanship and bad behavior.

Cheating.  It irritates me to see these athletes cheat.  I realize that the Olympics are a big deal, but these athletes are not any lessor role models than professional athletes.  If you are going to do it, do it right and don't cheat. 

::tangent::  I read an article about recreational runners that cheat in marathons, 10Ks, etc.  Most people don't cheat enough to win prizes or anything.  Then why do it?  I guess I could see if you are trying to qualify for Boston or New York.  But, nothing other than bragging rights?  How does it feel to tell people you ran a marathon, but to know you cheated.  Idiotic.  :: end tangent::

Bad sportsmanship.  When the runner who tripped, curled up into the fetal position and then stormed off, I was devastated.  I was willing her to get up and finish.  She knew she was going to loose, but to not finish?  It seemed like she was setting the wrong example.  We finish what we begin.  She would be remembered for finishing in a positive way.  Now, she is just a sore looser.

Bad behavior.  I think this was mostly exhibited by the press.  Wassup with Gabby Douglas' hair?  I really could care less.  She is an amazing athlete and her hair looked fine to me.  I never understood that.  Or all the hoopla when Jordan Weaver didn't make it to the all-around competition.  She is still an amazing gymnast.  I am sure she is disappointed, and she showed amazing poise in a stressful situation.  Let's remember these are young kids, let them be!

That is all I have to say about it. Want to see what the other ladies have to say? Check them out at: Froggie, Momarock, and Merrylandgirl.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me glad I didn't watch. I would have been so annoyed by all that.

    ReplyDelete