Thursday, February 2, 2012

Turn back time

This week's topic for our Thursday blog post is about time travel.  Specifically, if you could go back in time and change one historical event, which one would it be? Why would you, and what changes do you think would come from it?

Of course changing the outcomes of 9/11, genocide and famine and all the horrors of the world seem like the "right" thing to do.  I certainly believe that our world would be a better place if we were more tolerant of each other.  Yet, I am going to change a different day.  I am going to change 11/21/2000.

My father had an appointment with his doctor that day.  His blood pressure was higher than his doctor would have liked.  So, this doctor prescribed a medication to take in conjunction with his current blood pressure medication.  The interaction of those two drugs and my father's body chemistry caused his blood pressure to dramatically drop.  This drop caused him to die.

I would change the decision that the doctor made.  Would my father still be alive today?  I don't know.  He did have an underlying heart condition.  But, we would have had a few more days, months or maybe even years with him.  I would love for him to have met my kids.  For them to have met him. 

My Dad used to carry peanuts around with him when he would work in the garden.  When little kids would come and visit he would make sure he had enough for them.  He would then give them jobs to do while he worked.  Kids always loved to hang with my Dad.  I wish my kids could have gotten to do that.

So, it isn't altruistic, but it would make me happy.  I don't know that one day of change could really make the world a better place anyway.  It would be nice if it worked that way, but I don't think that it does.

The picture is of me, my Dad and my brother taken at my college graduation.

 

Want to see what everyone else would change?  Check them out at: Froggie, Momarock, and Merrylandgirl


2 comments:

  1. sounds like he was a great person. sorry he passed so soon after he was given the medication. i love how you have kept his memory alive in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. :( Even if that day wouldn't make the world a "better place", it would make YOUR world better.

    ReplyDelete