Sunday, February 19, 2012

On Quitting

Today when I left they gym I was wrestling with the fact that I have to work out everyday for the r e s t of my life.  Since I want to live a long time, that is a lot of work outs.  It suddenly seemed overwhelming.  I didn't want to do it anymore.

I ran at my goal pace today.  I didn't run that fast for very long, but I actually moved my legs that fast for a bit.  I really didn't think I ever could.  I was scared to bump the speed up that fast.  I held on to the emergency stop cord in case I died or fell or something.   But, I did it.  It wasn't that bad.

So, why when I left I didn't want to play anymore is really strange to me.  Then I decided to check out the Naperville Running Company's facebook page.  I found a blog about a guy who started running when he was 350 lbs.  You know what, I wanted to go on a run, right then.  But, I can't because DCF has all these stupid rules about people watching the kids.

I started running because it was on my can't list.  I wanted to take it off my can't list.  I did it. 

In December, I got some not so good news about my health.  I was feeling good and went to the Dr.  I wanted to prove that you can be fit and fat... but it didn't work out that way.  I learned that one of my cholesterol numbers was out of whack.  (My sugar numbers were good, so all you folks who think I am going to get diabetes can bite yourselves.)  I have high triglycerides. 

The Dr. gave me a choice, loose weight and get your diet under control or take pills.  My sister killed herself with pills.  Pills killed my father.  I don't do pills.  (Pills do some great things for a lot of folks, but you can see why I don't want to take them.)

So, I have stopped eating carbs.  Ok, I have cut back on carbs.  But I ate a bagel the other day and it made me ill.   That is progress.   I am working out 5-6 days a week and I am seriously thinking about applying for Mom Grant to hire a trainer for a couple of sessions.   I want to run a 10K. 

But, if I really and truly don't want to do pills, I really have to get my head around the working out and the food.  I have to do it forever.  There is not finish line, this is an everyday battle.

Tuesday, I am going to lace up my shoes and try and run at the goal pace for a bit longer.  But, for a little bit today, I wanted to give up.

I am not going to go all diet blog on you, because that isn't what this is about.  It is about being healthy and not taking pills.  Periodically, I might share with you what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment