Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hiding my head in shame

This is the next post, in what I hope to be many as part of a blog project I am doing with three other ladies. At the end of my post I will give you the links so that you can check out what they have to say on our topic. Who knows, maybe you will find something else you like.

Today's topic is:  If you could travel back in time to meet a past celebrity crush, what time period would you travel to and who would you meet? Describe how you would meet them and share something you would say to them.

Ok, so, here is the thing, I am a child of the 80's.  So you HAVE to suspend judgement and realize that this is what everyone looked like back then.  A word on that, I remember looking at my sister's old yearbooks from the 70's and thinking how funny they all looked.  I distinctly remember thinking, I will never think I look funny when I look back at my pictures because I am so stylish, and style this good never looks bad.  Yeah, was I wrong.  The 80's were a VERY bad period in fashion history.  I always get nervous when we start to revisit that era.

So on to my crush...  Please find a picture of Duran Duran.  I loved them so much.  I had the hugest crush on Nick Rhoades.  He would be the REALLY HOT one with the stylish headband.  See what I mean, style that good NEVER goes out.

 
I look at it now, and the horror of it all.  He looks like a girl.  He was probably totally gay.  Now I know could look it up, but I am not that interested.  Ok, I looked it up, he was married and had a kid, but that still does not mean he isn't gay.  They actually all look like girls.  But I digress.

The question is what would I say to them.  I mean if I was my 16 year old self, I would probably giggle a lot and say Oh My Gawd, like, totally a million times, you know.  But, as my older than 16 year old self, frankly, I just don't care anymore.  I have no desire to meet him.  I sort of cringe at the whole thing. 

Looking at a current picture of him, well that makes me want to meet him even less.



That is not someone I want to bring home to my kids.  All and all, I think it was just a crush of peer pressure.  Everyone had a crush on someone in this band. 

Just to make the whole thing less stomach turning, I leave you with a picture of Mark Harmon.  Now there is a man I would like to meet, now.  Really, I am not busy at all at this very moment.  Clicking my heels and hoping.




Isn't he hot?  Now, let's see what everyone else has to say on the topic, Momarock, Froggie and Merryland Girl.


1 comment:

  1. that was hilarious! :) and mark harmon looks better now than he did when he was younger. i also think tony danza in his "who's the boss" days is hot but i didn't when i was a kid. same with huey lewis in the 80's. strange what age can do to perception!

    ReplyDelete