Thursday, June 2, 2011

Me on TV

This is the next post, in what I hope to be many as part of a blog project I am doing with three other ladies. At the end of my post I will give you the links so that you can check out what they have to say on our topic. Who knows, maybe you will find something else you like.


This week's question: What TV show, movie or book is most similar to your life? 

I have thought about this all week.  I have even had stress dreams about not being able to answer the question.  I tried a lot of of ideas on.  The only way for you to appreciate my answer is to enter the dressing room with me.  Don't worry you won't have to see me in my undies.  This is a G rated post.

I thought about Leave It To Beaver.  June was a stay at home mother, I am a stay at home mother.  Her kids do things that aren't always right, my kids do things that aren't always right.  June wears purls and never yells, just like me right?  RIGHT?  The situation is always resolved before Ward gets home and everyone always laughs around the dinner table.  Just like at our house right??  RIGHT??  I know, this show doesn't really fit.  I wish it did, but it just doesn't.  Let's put that on one the reject pile.

How about Modern Family.  It seems like the obvious choice.  It is like that really cute black wrap dress, that looks fabulous on but someone thought it would be a good idea to put a massive embellishment right in the middle of my stomach.  While is seems like a good idea on paper, the reality is not quite so great.  I just don't see myself in any of the people on that show.   I am not a gay male, I am not the young hot wife with the old husband and I am not Claire.  I get overwhelmed like she does, but other than that, I don't think I am crazy like she is.   If you disagree, just keep your mouth shut.

Parenthood, is another promising choice.  I struggle with a child that is different.  Our family doesn't always understand the issues we deal with as it relates to Mac.  I am overwhelmingly appreciative of the way they depict aspergers on that program.  But, that still doesn't ring true as a depiction of my life.  Perhaps I am taking the whole idea of describes my life too seriously, I don't know, but I do know that I have a pile of rejected ideas.

There are days when it seems like Animal House would be the perfect choice.  It is always a little out of control around here.  The inmates are often running the asylum.  Taxi or Cash Cab, not so much for the topic of the shows, but the shear fact that I drive people all over town, in a mini-van like in Cash Cab.  Perhaps Soccer Moms Gone Wild, or The Preschooler That Took Over Chicago? 

There isn't a television show or movie that is even close to my life.  People don't want to watch a show about an overwhelmed, under paid, stressed out Mommy with pointy sticks in her hands.  Or maybe they do, John and Kate Plus 8 was a pretty big success.  Hey, producers of the world, come and film me, I have some great potential here.

Want to see what the other ladies have to say on the topic?  Check out Froggie, Momarock and Merrylandgirl.

1 comment:

  1. i like how you shared your thought process with us. it was funny too. and i'm claire so there's no way you can be too. lol! seriously, i've said the same stuff she has said. i've acted the same way she has acted. it's scary. and my husband makes up songs in the style of phil. :)

    ReplyDelete