Friday, September 14, 2012

Great Spanking Debate

Topic for this week is spanking.  Based on this article.
 http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/canadian-experts-call-nationwide-ban-spanking-180200392.html

What are your thoughts on this??? This certainly can apply to any of us, since our parents may have or might not have spanked us as kids.


Spank, don't spank.  Breast feed don't breast feed.  Drink 32 ounces of soda, don't drink 32 ounces of soda.  At the end of the day, it comes down to choice.  I choose to spank, breast feed and drink 32 ounces of soda.  You might not make those choices.

A bit more about my choice to spank.  When my kids were toddlers, I spanked them.  The eldest looked at me and said, at the tender age of 2 1/2, "That didn't hurt Mommy.  Is that all you got?"  After I scrapped myself off the ceiling, I realized that spanking this kid wasn't going to work.  Taking away television on the other hand worked like a champ.

My middle son, would look at me and through the biggest veil of tears you have ever seen, seriously Niagra Falls is mini in comparison, and say "I'm sorry Mommy, don't hit me."  I had to spank him once and just the suggestion that I might have to do it again caused him to change what he was doing.

My daughter, she needed a few spankings here and there and sometimes still does.  It will work better than anything else.  But, I can count on one hand the number of times I have spanked her in the last year.  Again, a trip to her room or taking her monkeys away is usually all that is needed.

Do I abuse my kids?  I don't think so.  DCFS will not take away your kids unless they feel that you are acting outside of what is reasonable.  They would constitute what I have done in the situations I have done it reasonable.

Now that they are older, I wouldn't dream of spanking the boys.  It is just inappropriate.  Besides, I have much better things I can do like take away the phone or video games.  Do my kids think that I abuse them?  Probably, they don't have any ice cream in the house right now and they need to clean their rooms this weekend.  For all their faults, my kids are fine.

What we need is for government to STOP telling us what to do.  Let's let adults make adult decisions.  We don't need government to regulate everything.

Want to hear what everyone else has to say?  Check them out at:  Froggie, Momarock, and Merrylandgirl

1 comment:

  1. Great post and I appreciate your honest approach to this topic!

    ReplyDelete